What Makes A Good Kids Mouth Guard? A Parent’s Guide15 May 2023
As a parent, one of your top priorities is ensuring the safety and well-being of your children. Whether they are playing sports or engaging in other physical activities, it is essential to protect their teeth and mouth from potential injuries. One of the best ways to do this is by providing them with a high-quality mouth guard. In this guide, we will discuss what makes a good kids mouth guard and provide tips to help you choose the best one for your child’s needs.
Why Do Kids Need Mouth Guards?
Mouth guards are essential for kids who participate in sports or activities that could cause dental injuries. These injuries can range from chipped or broken teeth to more severe issues such as jaw fractures or concussions. A mouth guard provides a cushion between the teeth and the force of impact, reducing the risk of injury and potentially saving your child from pain and expensive dental procedures.
What Are The Different Types Of Mouth Guards?
There are three main types of mouth guards: stock mouth guards, boil-and-bite mouth guards, and custom mouth guards.
Stock Mouth Guards: These mouth guards are the most basic and affordable option. They come pre-formed and ready to use, but they may not fit well and may be uncomfortable for your child to wear.
Boil-And-Bite Mouth Guards: These mouth guards are made from thermoplastic material that softens when boiled and then molds to the shape of your child’s teeth when bitten down on. They offer a better fit than stock mouth guards and are also more affordable than custom mouth guards.
Custom Mouth Guards: These mouth guards are the most expensive option but offer the best fit and protection. A dentist will take an impression of your child’s teeth and use it to create a custom-fitted mouth guard that provides maximum protection and comfort.
What Should You Look For In A Kids Mouth Guard?
When choosing a mouth guard for your child, there are several factors to consider:
- Proper Fit: A good mouth guard should fit well and be comfortable to wear. A mouth guard that is too loose or too tight can be ineffective and may cause discomfort or irritation to your child’s gums.
- Material: The material of the mouth guard can impact its effectiveness and comfort. Mouth guards made from EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate) are a popular choice as they offer both durability and comfort.
- Thickness: The thickness of the mouth guard can affect its level of protection. Thicker mouth guards may offer more protection but can also be bulkier and more uncomfortable to wear.
- Age and Activity Level: The age and activity level of your child should also be taken into consideration when choosing a mouth guard. Younger children may require smaller mouth guards, while older children who participate in high-impact sports may require a more durable mouth guard.
- Maintenance: Proper maintenance and cleaning are essential to prolong the lifespan of a mouth guard. Look for mouth guards that are easy to clean and come with a protective case to store it in when not in use.
Where Can You Get A Kids Mouth Guard?
You can purchase stock or boil-and-bite mouth guards at sporting goods stores or online. However, for the best protection and fit, we recommend visiting a dentist for a custom-fitted mouth guard. A dentist can ensure that the mouth guard fits properly and provides maximum protection for your child’s teeth and mouth.
Best Dentist Near Me In Houston
If you’re looking for the best dentist near me in Houston, Texas, there are several factors to consider. You want to find a dentist who is experienced, knowledgeable, and caring, and who can provide you with the best possible dental care.