Ways to Transfer OLM Files in Gmail Program – A Full Guide29 September 2023
There are various ways to transfer OLM files in Gmail. This guide explains all the methods with step-by-step instructions.
Gmail and Outlook are two widely used email clients. Gmail is developed by Google, and Outlook is developed by Microsoft. MS Outlook has two different programs: Outlook for Mac and Outlook for Windows. Gmail, on the other hand, is available on both Mac and Windows. If we talk about file formats, Mac Outlook uses two file formats: OLK and OLM files. Both are used only on Mac systems.
OLK files are used to store Mac Outlook data, and whenever a user wants to transfer its Mac Outlook data to another place, it uses OLM files. The Gmail program uses the VCF file format to import and export the data. Moreover, users can connect their Gmail account with other email programs via the IMAP server. There are many users who migrate their OLM files into Gmail for backup. Therefore, we share multiple methods to convert OLM files to Gmail.
Ways to Transfer OLM Files in Gmail
Anyone can migrate Mac Outlook files into Gmail using IMAP. Users enable an IMAP account with their Gmail account and configure it in Mac Outlook. After that, move Mac Outlook data to the configured Gmail account. This method is lengthy and requires more attention. So, for an easy process, use a software method that converts OLM files into VCF format. Thus, there are two methods to open OLM files in Gmail.
- Manual method: use the IMAP server to configure the Gmail account with Mac Outlook.
- Professional method: convert OLM files into VCF format using the software.
Manual Method to Export OLM Data into Gmail Account
In this method, you can use your existing Gmail account. Users complete this method in three steps.
- Enable IMAP in your Gmail account.
- Configure the enabled Gmail account in your Mac Outlook.
- Move the files from Mac Outlook to the connected Gmail account.
After this, you are able to open the OLM files. We elaborate these steps in detail, so follow them carefully.
Step 1: Enable IMAP with your Gmail Account
The first step in this method is to go to your Gmail account. Click on the IMAP option in the settings. This way, you can transfer OLM files in Gmail.
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- On the top right corner, click on the gear icon and then more settings.
- Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Click on the enable IMAP option and then the Save Changes option.
- After that, make a label to save the files from Mac Outlook.
Step 2: Configure Enabled Gmail account in Mac Outlook Program
After you have connected your Gmail account with IMAP, you can configure it in your Mac Outlook program.
- Open the Mac Outlook program and go to the File menu.
- Click on Accounts and select the Email option.
- Now, enter the details of the Gmail account.
- Then, select the “Add Account” button.
Step 3: Transfer OLM Files in Gmail Account from Mac Outlook
This is the last step of this method; here, you migrate the files that you want to the connected Gmail account.
- Open the Mac Outlook program and choose a folder you want to migrate.
- Right-click the folder and select Move, then Copy.
- Now, click on the label that you have created and click on the Copy button.
- After that, select the Send/Receive button. All your files have now been moved to Gmail.
Follow these steps to successfully export OLM data into Gmail account. Although this method is free to use, it is very tedious and time-consuming. Therefore, use another method to migrate your files in less time.
Professional Way to Transfer OLM Files in Gmail
Here, we use SysTools OLM to PST converter software to convert the files into VCF format. We use the VCF format because it is imported directly into Gmail. This method is free to download and provides various features.
Features of Software
- You not only convert OLM files into VCF; it also converts into PDF, EML, MBOX, HTML, etc.
- The software allows users to batch export multiple files at once, along with attachments.
- It has a scanning option to scan your files and save a copy of the scanned file.
- While you export your file, the software keeps your data safe from harm.
- You can name your files using the naming convention option.
Steps to Convert OLM Files into VCF
- Download and launch the software. After that, open the software.
- Click on the Add File option and go to the location where you have saved OLM files. Click on the Add File option.
- After clicking it, the software starts the scanning process. When it finishes, click on the Yes button to save the files.
- Preview your file in various modes, like HEX, MIME, Message Header, Properties, etc.
- Either click on the Export option to convert all the files or select the files you want to convert and click on the Export selected option.
- Select the VCF file format. Click on the Browse button to set a destination to save your files.
- Click on Maintain Folder Hierarchy, Ignore system folder, and merge contacts into a single vCard option. After that, choose the Export option.
This article explains to you that there are two ways to transfer OLM files in Gmail. First is the manual method and other professionals. The first method is a long process and requires more attention while converting the file. The second one is easy, as in just a few minutes, your files are exported into a VCF file. Then you open the file in Gmail. Now, it’s your choice which method you would choose, but choose a method in your own opinion.